Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Hello!

Hi, everybody. It's Greg, from Blogdigger. We're having traumatic server issues at the moment; two boxes are down, which leaves us up a proverbial creek. We're really working hard to get things back up, but it's going to take a bit of time. I'm starting this blog as a temporary means of keeping in touch, and try to give updates as to how things are going.

All I can say, is that I'm really sorry and that we're doing our best.

A quick rehash of the problems: our rack at Level 3 lost power sometime on Monday night. The main server refused to reboot, so we had to pull it and are currently doing data recovery on it (if anyone is an expert in getting data off a RAID 5 Gentoo box using JFS, email me, please). Our backup box went in last night, but it's now having configuration problems with Tomcat and networking. I'm tempted to install Resin and see how that works, but I think the problems lie at the networking level (this box is running Fedora Core 2). The good news is, we had a fairly complete backup of our data, and I'm hoping we'll be able to pull the little bit that's missing off the old box.

So that's the basic story. I'm working on getting dummy feeds set up for the media and search pages, so at the very least, your subscriptions won't return errors. To make matters somewhat worse, I'm scheduled to be out of town for Rosh Hashannah, starting tonight through Saturday (could this have happened at a worse time? It's possible, but I don't think so).

All I can say is that we will be back (down for one day, and I'm already getting emails from people interested in buying the code, which I guess is a good sign). Please bear with us, and thanks for your patience.

Words of consolation and encouragement can be left in the comments, and are much appreciated ;)

4 comments:

tmw said...

best of luck! i know from experience this sort of thing can really wear on your very soul

Unknown said...

We keep our fingers crossed for you. All the best!

Becky said...

Happy New Year. Ha.

I only just came to digger via Google, so I'm looking forward to seeing it in action.

debashish said...

Good to hear from the status feed. I was worried that the service was closed. I hope you would be back. One of my free sites "Chitha Vishwa" (World of Hindi blogs) depends on your service. All the best :)